About Beyond Social
Beyond Social is a collaborative research and publishing platform for students, faculty, and friends of the WdKA Social Practices department. It is a platform for trial and error, for sharing knowledge, research, sketches, and failures.
Beyond Social connects contributors through a wiki. It is an open and collaborative platform. Anyone may contribute by commenting on existing articles, adding new articles and events, adding items to our Frictionary, and proposing other forms of wiki gardening and collaboration.
Social Practices The Social Practices is an interdisciplinary graduation profile at WdKA that offers four courses: Cultural Diversity, New Earth, Performative Action, and Powerplay.
Beyond Social is in the process of understanding how it functions as a collectively built research repository. As an archive of academic work carried out by teachers and students of the WdKA Social Practices department, Beyond Social is thinking about how:
1) To complexify the issue of Common knowledge without assuming that free access guarantees equal access, or that collective authorship guarantees equitable redis(at)tribution.
2) Can canons of categorization be extruded, exploded, and, most importantly, rebuilt. Categories must be questioned, but the tyranny of structurelessness must be resisted.
3) To make visible the work of the department in a way that is sensitive
Beyond Social has many contributors, none of whom claim authorship over a platform that is built in common. It has no editorial board, as anyone can upload material without the need for editorial permission or review. It does however have two dedicated custodians: Alice Strete and Angeliki Diakrousi.
Beyond Social began as an initiative from Iris Schutten, Program Leader Social Practices WdKA (2013-2017), in collaboration with Kimmy Spreeuwenberg, Teacher and Coordinator of Hybrid Publishing at Willem de Kooning Academy (WdKA), University of Applied Sciences in Rotterdam. Right from the start Beyond Social aimed at being a platform for a wider community than WdKA
It was built by André Castro and Manetta Berends, media artists and researchers who teach/have also taught at the Experimental Publishing masters of Piet Zwart Institute. Currently, they participate in the running of Varia, a space for developing collective approaches to everyday technology.
Previous Editorial Board
- Iris Schutten, Lead Editor (2014 and onwards)
- Gaspard Bos (2017 and onwards)
- Bruno Setola (2017 and onwards)
- Teana Boston-Mammah (2017 and onwards)
- Karlijn Souren (2017 and onwards)
Visual Design and Web Development
- Manetta Berends, www.manettaberends.nl (2017 and onwards)
- André Castro
Git repository for the wiki skin: https://github.com/wdka-publicationSt/BeyondSocial-wiki/tree/unfolding (2017 and onwards)
Wiki2Web (2014 - 2016)
Initially, Beyond Social was partly an experiment to allow users to create their own issues, which were linked to Beyond Social events. These issues are included below for archival reference.
Beyond Social is an initiative from Iris Schutten, Program Leader Social Practices WdKA (2013-2017), in collaboration with Hybrid Publishing Practices WdKA.
Lead Editor first editions
- Iris Schutten (2014 and onwards)
Editorial Board first editions
- Sikko Cleveringa (2017)
- Deanna Herst (2014-2015)
- Tabo Goudswaard (2014-2015)
Visual Design first editions
- Marlon Harder & Lasse van den Bosch Christensen, Template (2014-2016)
Web Development first editions
- André Castro, Publication Station WdKA (2014-2016)
Git repository for the previous wiki2web publishing workflow: https://github.com/wdka-publicationSt/BeyondSocial )2014-2016)