In a world where we are online 24/7, and where cities are more crowded than ever, our senses are constantly stimulated by everything that is happening around us. Things such as traffic, unobservant cyclists and the fact that there are people everywhere, give us an urge to look for peaceful and quiet spaces within the chaos.
With 82% of happy inhabitants, Rotterdam is the city with the lowest happiness rate. In contrast to the Beemster, where 94% of the inhabitants claim to be happy. More and more people are moving to cities and Rotterdam in particular is becoming more popular than ever before. In 2014, Rotterdam received the Urbanism Award from the Academy of Urbanism, for being the best city in Europe to live in. On the 1st of April 2018 Rotterdam almost reached 640.000 inhabitants, which is an increase of 1.683 inhabitants since the 1st of January. Between January and April 2017, there was an increase of 1.193 people who moved to Rotterdam. This is an increase of 490 people in the same period last year.
Young adults who live in the city, have a 40% higher risk of getting a psychosis later in life and all city inhabitants have an increased chance by 21% of getting an anxiety disorder and a 39% higher risk of getting a depression.
From there my first and foremost research question became the following:
How can I, as a designer, create a quiet spot in the city of Rotterdam for people who are overwhelmed by the bustle?Find out more on the 2nd of July, 2018.
Feel free to contribute to Beyond Social.